Friday, June 3, 2011

The Mole Hole!

While in New York, I bought an unlimited ride Metro Card and rode the Subway all over the city.  Now, I am usually very good with direction.  It seems as though God has put a built in compass in my mind.  I seldom get lost or turned around, but all that goes away when you put me under ground!


The Subway was always dark, loud, crowded and smelly!  There are so many stations, numbers, exits, twists and turns that I got disoriented almost every time.  Often times I was forced to make quick decisions with the rush of the crowd.  I would surface up out of the terminal, eyes squinting in the sunlight like a mole coming up out of his hole on a bright summer day.  Then I would immediately start looking for road signs at the closest intersection to try and regain my bearings. 


I soon discovered that the way to success was a detailed Subway map, watching all the passing signs and listening closely to the Conductors directions.  This three fold combination proved almost foil proof.  This is a close parallel to the walk of Faith.  Life can get real confusing at times.  We can be thrust into the darkness so quickly.  There are lots of unexpected twists and turns along the way. Therefore, it is so important that we closely follow the Lord in uncertain times.  God's word is our road map.  The Psalmist states; "Your word is a light unto my path and a lamp unto my feet."  The Holy Spirit helps us to clearly discern the "signs" or unusual circumstances of life. But, the most important key is to learn how to consistently hear the voice of the Father along the journey. He is the conductor who desires to keep us headed in the right direction.  Jesus says it best in John 10:27; "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."  I am learning to distinguish His voice better every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment